13.1.11

A Little Bit of FATE

"He was a rationalist, but he had to confess that he liked the ringing of church bells."
Anton Pavlovich Chekhov

This weekend's assignment is to find the right church. I don't know what that means yet, but I'll know it when I see it. It'll be a matter of fate...

I know it sounds a bit pretentious being that we're not religious at all and when it comes to religious preachings and practices, I'd be the first to admit that a lot of them don't make any sense and maybe even hypocritical. But for reasons that I cannot explain, I've always felt at peace when I'm inside a church--and this is one mystery that I'm happy not to question.
I also wanted our marriage to be more than a lawful contract. Lawful. That almost makes it sound awful. Not really but it is (at least for me) unromantic. I'd like to believe that what we have isn't as simple and straightforward as a legal agreement that can be as easily voided or broken.

Joe thinks differently about church weddings, but he says he'll do it because it's important to me.

So, here are our top choices for now:

St. Lucy's Roman Catholic Church (East Harlem) - This is where the first Ana and Joe (Joe's great grandparents) got married. I think. Joey's a little off with details sometimes so I could be wrong. But if I'm right, talk about fate! Lucy also happens to be my mother's nickname!

It opened in the 1900s especially for the Italian Community of East Harlem. I haven't seen any pictures of it, but I'll have to make sure to take some this weekend.

St. Lucy is the patron saint for the blind. And you know what they say, "love is blind". Uh, yeah, that was cheesy and unnecessary.

St. Patrick's Old Cathedral (Downtown) - This would be our alternative if St. Lucy's doesn't happen. The church is famous for being NYC's first cathedral church and the baptism scene in 'The Godfather' where Michael Corleone becomes the Godfather to his niece.
Corner of Mott and Prince Streets.

2 comments:

  1. Joey has the wedding certificate to prove it! The First Ana and Joe were married there about 100 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stand corrected. Joey is great with details!

    ReplyDelete